Saturday, December 24, 2016

Deck Breakdown: Rebel Capital Ships

Several weeks back I took a trip down to Bluegrass Magic in Louisville, Ky for my for Star Wars: TCG regional. I don't get to play much in the way of competitive these days so I decided to take a deck I needed to work on to see what could be done. So here is what I ran:

Rebel Alliance
A Legend Begins x2
Command and Control x2
Solidarity of Spirit x2
Green Squadron Deployment x2
Mobilize the Squadron x1
Capital Cover x1

A Legend Begins x2

A Legend Begins give some good edge for the Rebels and a way to possibly control what ends up getting to shoot at me in the engagement. Unfortunately I often pitched Wedge to the edge and the resource is the least efficient but it does do some interesting things for the Alliance. Just not sure if it is enough.

Command and Control x2

In this pod we get a way to increase handsize as long as we can manage to take an objective, a main that decreases the cost of most of the units in the deck and shielding; those two reason are solid choices to play it but it also bring Resupply Depot and another way to mess with edge math in Supporting Fire. Add in some Black Blast with a couple Corvettes I would probably take another another card in place of the second Corvette but it is a solid body. Not sure I would every cut this pod for this type of deck.

Solidarity of Spirit x2

I love and hate this pod, I wish it let the opponent put a unit that costs one less as I have to weigh triggering it every time it comes into play but had to run it in my deck, a free Home One is tempting but I don't want to have to see a free Vader in reply. Now I would play the pod for Home One and the free resource which I can't use it for the the Corvettes but if you want you can play the MC80 from this pod to get a little more mileage out of resources for capital ships. Battle of Endor rounds out the pod on a down note since most cards the deck runs are not Endor so it ends up as 1-2pips for the edge usually.

Green Squadron Deployment x2

So I don't really care about the force with this deck so I never really played the objective and while the seeds is nice I can't see me committing too many units since most are not elite and I can't afford the other side to over focus my ships. I ran it for the resource and The Liberty but it is a non-elite unit that needs to be committed to the force to work. Navy has Gladiators and other ways to manipulate the edge, Sith just has edge numbers beyond what this deck can handle. So I often felt it was overcosted for the current meta, at least for something that will get focused before it can pop a problem unit back into your opponent's hand.

Mobilize the Squadron x1

A quasi-elite objective that help to drop some of the more expensive units or even 2 capital ships on a turn with the proper reductions. Trench Run gave me another way to cherry pick objective with Home One and Rebel Assault gave me a another way to push on the last bit of damage for a unit or objective. Cheap bodies in X-wing and Rookie pilot for rounding out the resources I could spend or for cheap Covering Fore Bodies.

Capital Cover x1

Objective is usually a priority target but it give me a way to try and get the ships to survive so they can strike. Another capital ship in Defiance that can help the survivability for your key ships, MC40 gives you another way to try and survive the engagement and the MC30 is a source of cheap blast. Capital Fire was a card that I never got off but I like the threat of it. Rounding out the pod is protection for another source of shields for the ships.

So after the tournament I knew that I would either be dropping Green Squadron completely or at least going down to one copy of it. So I also needed more shields or tactics, shields seed easir so the changes that I as testing now are:

-2 Green Squadron Deployment
+1 Mobilize the Squadron
+1 Capital Cover

This gives me more resources on objectives while letting my draws for shields get a little more consistent. I want to get another good round of games with these changes in to see what else I can do to improve the deck. So while it is far from top tier it is a fun deck that could probably be improved from here.







No comments: